Time

Required Field

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Interview with Jonathan Synder "Bright Orange"

1) What is your name, and where are you from?

Jonathan M. Snider, from Jacksonville, FL.

2) You've performed under the moniker "bright orange", can you tell how that name came about?

It started out as a combination of the bands Brighter and Orange Juice, two old favorites that I was listening to heavily at the time. I originally envisioned myself playing music that was more in that vein, but it's not what came out. Also, I've known people who have claimed to be able to see my 'aura', and they have described it as being orange. I have mixed feelings about the name, though, as I do not like the color very much. It makes me think of traffic cones.

3) Tell me about your first experiences with making your own music, how did it start? what was the influence?

I've been bashing around on guitars and keyboards since I was 3 years old. I bought my own guitar when I was 8, and formed my first band. We started out playing covers of stuff that was on the radio, like Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins, but eventually became more interested in the Beatles, Bob Dylan, punk rock & psychedelia. We were together for 10 years, some of the other guys from it play in Honey Chamber now. I also began making experimental music on my own at a pretty young age, just being interested in the sounds of my casio keyboard droning on low notes in combination with the hairdryer. I would try to make them harmonize. Also made some primitive tape music with a dual cassette deck.

4) You live in tampa now, how is that going for you? have you had the oppurunity to make music there?

Since I've been here I've been focusing more on painting. I know some really amazing musicians here, but they tend to be more into doing their solo projects, whereas I prefer to work collaboratively. For that reason & others I have decided to move back to Jacksonville, & should be there by next week as of this writing. I've had some pretty good times here though.

5) How would you describe the type of music you make?

I've made a lot of different kinds of music. I don't know if there's a unifying theme to it all. I tend to be most interested in a dreamy kind of sound, things that are textural, and improvisational rather than composed, but there aren't any rules. Lately I've been writing songs and riffs for guitar, and it comes out sounding more surfy/middle eastern/psych. I've never been good at answering this question.

6) Favorite gear to record with, and use in a live performance?

Gear is kind of the bane of my existence. I've never been able to spend much money on it, and I'm rarely satisfied with what I have. I recorded the Bright Orange CD on a KORG 4-track with built in effects, and that worked out very well for that project, but I've never been interested in repeating myself, and I would like my next project to be a bit more 'professional.' Not that I necessarily want to go into a studio, but just a better sound quality and better equipment. Ideally, my favorite guitars & amps are Fenders, and I like playing Stratocasters and Jazzmasters. No humbuckers. Lots of reverb. For synth stuff I like 80's KORGs & Rolands, and cheap Casio & Yamaha keyboards.

7) We've always had a shared mutual affinity for Italo Disco, Eighties Funk, and Post Disco. What are some of your favorite songs and bands from those generes?

Clio - "Faces," Cyber People - "Void Vision," Diego - "Walk in the Night," Island & Holiday - "Living," Alexander Robotnick - "Problemes D'Amour," Alec Mansion - "Ou Es Tou," Baricentro - "Tittle Tattle (Twice)," Loredana Berte - "Feel My Love (Dub)," Pee Wee - "Be My Girl," Feel - "I'd Like To," Esavu - "Spelling Love," everything by Arthur Russell pretty much... I could go on forever...

8) What's the future looking like?

I'm currently in the process of enrolling at a community college & figuring out what I want to study, which is something I've neglected for a long time. Hopefully getting some better music equipment soon. Moving back to Jacksonville & starting a band. My long-term goals are to operate a semi-successful independent record label & to tour the world.

10) Who is your favorite science fiction writer?

Philip K. Dick, also one of my favorite writers of any genre. I think I've read just about everything he ever wrote. My favorite is the VALIS trilogy.

11) What are you doing right now musically, anything we should know about? (please include links)

I have a few demos up on soundcloud, but I'm not really ready to release anything to the 'general public.' Watch this space for new sounds and images, hopefully coming soon: elmdisease.tumblr.com

12) Tell me about the best show you've ever seen, when was it? who performed?

I've been to a lot of shows; I'm not sure I could say which one was the best. One that sticks out to me, though, is Quintron & Miss Pussycat at Jackrabbits a few years ago. Awesome puppet show, ultra visceral energy, & non-stop dancing with my best friends. Best bands I've seen recently: Names Divine, Twilight of the Three Suns, & Evening People

13) Favorite french new wave or italian neo realist film?

Film is one of my favorite subjects, but there are definitely some pretty huge gaps in my knowledge. The only italian neo-realist film that I'm aware of having seen is Fellini's La Strada, & I didn't like it as much as his later work. I haven't even seen Bicycle Thieves yet. Favorite french new wave would have to be a tie between Alphaville & Shoot the Piano Player. But of the European new wave movements I tend to prefer the German & Czech ones, of which some of my favorites are Aguirre: the Wrath of God, In a Year with 13 Moons, & Closely Watched Trains.

14) Any last words or thoughts?

Just thanks for having me, & keep up with your blog, it's pretty cool.

1 comment:

  1. Orange is also the color of the Root Chakra, the home of ones safety and sexual urges.

    Your musick has always made me feel like a primitively sexual traffic cone.

    ReplyDelete